The Old York Manor Crane Sanitorium
Story Last Updated: October 11th, 2022 🎃
York Manor was a three-story red brick structure built in 1891, however other reports say the Gothic mansion had been completed as far back as the 1870’s. It was the home of Dr. Frederick (1862-1906) and Mrs. Martha Fischer. The home was sometimes refereed to as the Fischer Mansion. Frederick J.T. Fischer was an original Elmhurst settler, a civil war veteran, and served as the 2nd physician of the town.
The Fischer era of the Mansion came to an end when Dr. Milo Crane (1874-1944) purchased the home in the early 20th century. Dr. Crane converted the large Mansion to the Crane Sanitarium in 1914. After Dr. Crane’s death in 1944, the building was used as a hotel that saw many names over the years. Some of the names include: The Crane Hotel, Elmhurst Apartments, and The York Manor Hotel. It was last known as the Elmhurst Hotel.
Sadly York Manor Crane Sanitarium was demolished in February 2003. The structure was in need of many costly repairs, and after some debate it was deemed not worth saving. The city didn’t immediately build anything in its location, and the lot remains empty to this day.
Although there are no ghost stories dating back to when the building once stood, after its demolition strange voices have been recorded at the location. The voices are rumored to belong to patients that died there during its days as a Sanitarium.
Could the demolition have stirred something up? It’s one possible theory on the origin of these spirits which seem to be haunting Elmhurst with their ghostly voices.
Location: 203 S. York St, Elmhurst, IL 60126 (Google Maps)
Type of Haunting: likely intelligent
Type of Spirit(s): human
Nature of Spirit(s): believed to be benevolent
Number of Spirits: evidence points to there most likely being at least 2 spirits, possibly more.
Notoriety of Haunting: 🔥 1/5
HauntedChicagoland.com Editor Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ 3/5 stars